Saturday, April 15, 2017

Five for Friday (On Saturday) Who are the people in YOUR neighborhood?

Good morning!

So last weekend we had pretty much the best weather Wisconsin can expect.  It was breezy and in the low 70's with plenty of sun and just a hint of humidity.

We get about six days a year like that and almost NEVER two in a row and really NEVER on a weekend.

So, encouraged by my sis-in-law, Janie, (not her real name of course) I took a couple walks to try and clear my head from my procedure on Thursday.  (It is shocking to me just how run down I've felt since the Gut and Butt special, like I'm walking through water.)


My walk on Saturday, one I took alone, brought to might the old Sesame Street song, "Who are the people in your neighborhood?"   I loved that song when I was a kid and again when my kids were little.  We'd sing it all the time and then look for people like postal delivery people, firefighters, police, shopkeepers.

My walk last Saturday revealed nothing like that.

No, here are the people in my neighborhood:

1)  Angry Hoarder Woman who decorates her house so nicely for every season, but screams at little children to "shut the F*** up!" when they are outside.  Last Saturday she put cute light up bunnies in her window, once again making people think she's a lovely person.

2)  The girl in the picture window...sitting on the wide window sill, hidden from those in the house by
a curtain. What was she doing?  Wiping boogers on the window.  Sort of like "A  Beautiful Mind"  But with boogers instead of complex math problems. 

3)  Wheelchair Guy down the street put up all his Easter decorations, which got New Neighbor of Wheelchair Guy to put up their decorations.  Now, Wheelchair Guy does a huge display every season with lights and inflatables.  (I didn't know there were inflatable Easter eggs.  Of course, he got two...which sort of look like giant pastel color boobs.)  Neighbor of Wheelchair Guy...not so much.  They put a plastic lit bunny circa 1962 in the front yard.  Next year they need to up their game.

4)  Motor Avenue speedway drivers...something you'll never see on Sesame Street. Motor Ave between S. Moreland and Washington is about three blocks long and has stop signs on either end.  But it does not matter which end you want to cross, the people turning onto and off of Motor Ave do not stop at the stop signs, and they look upon pedestrians as prey to be hunted down and crushed.  

5) And then there was Lilly-Bug.  Lilly-bug and her family live in one of the newer homes on Dresser, at the top of a hill.  I only mention that to let people know I walked up a hill.  Lilly-bug and her friend/sister/cousin are very young, very cute girls, probably 3 or 4, and a sunny Saturday they were doing what most kids that age do...they were drawing pretty pictures with sidewalk chalk.  The dads were in charge of watching the girls while moms were inside making dinner. How do I know all this?  Well, one mom stuck her head out of the door and said, "Dinner is ready."  Whereupon one of the dads says, "Okay Lilly-Bug time to go in and eat."  Lilly-Bug, as a normal little kid, was having fun and didn't move right away.  Dad then said, "Lilly-Bug come on...don't you want to eat some fruit?"  That's when I looked at Lilly-Bug and realized that no, she wasn't interested in food, fruit or otherwise.  See, Lilly-Bug had already eaten...and I think the purple is her favorite flavor of chalk. 


 So there you go.  Not exactly Sesame Street, no.  But entertaining all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...