Wednesday, February 20, 2019

My "Friends" text ruins Hubby's fun at the Tim Hawkins show.







We all do that, right?

Okay. Before we begin with my latest attempt to go out in public and do things, I need you all to watch the little video clip below.  I'll wait...


Trust me, you'll need it later.


So last Friday night Hubby and I went out...again.  Yes, we braved the Wisconsin Winter and, you know, people in general, (especially after our experience at the John Mellencamp concert the week before) and we went to see Comedian Time Hawkins. This was our Valentine's gift to each other.  Of course, after the Mellencamp show...I wasn't sure what to expect from the crowd. I'm not totally familiar with Mr. Hawkins' work.



Turns out, the show was held at the church my friend Jaicey (not her real name...I don't think that's anyone's real name) goes to.  (She was there, but we didn't see each other. She had "special reserved" seats, I had "general admission."  Jaicey does not DO General Admission. But Jaicey does do a lot of other things that are awesome, so I can't fault her for this.)  Hubby and I, having general admission tickets, were asked to wait in the very, very long line in the gym until the doors opened.

Now, Hubby doesn't request much from me, especially when it comes to my blog, but he wanted me to make this point: The crowd at the Hawkins show was NIGHT AND DAY different from the crowd at the Mellencamp show.

1)  We were asked to wait in line in the gym. There were no line dividers, no barriers, and very few people in charge of telling us where to go.  And yet, there was no pushing, no line jumping, no fighting.

2) When the line started moving, we moved in an orderly manner, turning as we came to the end of the gym floor, as if pivoting around a post or line divider, and yet there were none.

3)  Many people, women especially, had puffy coats on and NO ONE tried to pick them up by asking them about the coats.

4)  No one, and this is really important, dumped rum and coke on me.

The socio-economic make up of the two groups were roughly the same. Age of the Hawkins show was actually much lower than that of the Mellencamp show.  The race/diversity was about the same for each show since the geography and general appeal of the performer was the same.

And yet...there was a difference...

Yeah, like NO BOOZE!

Hubby wanted me to make that point.

Now, the real reason I'm writing this blog.

Having General Admission seats, we got into the church itself behind several other people but it was not hard to find seats.  I am also pleased to say that the church turned the AC WAY UP so that we weren't all boiling.

The people surrounding us seemed nice, everyone laughed ( a lot, Tim Hawkins is VERY FUNNY, you should go see him if you can, and bring the kids.) at the proper places and we all had a very good time.

There was just one thing...

The woman behind me...

She had...this laugh...

Let me remind you:



Now I picked up on it right away. And I texted my two "Friends" friends, Sherita and Lisbeth. (Obviously not their real names...) and I informed them of the fact that the woman behind me had Monica's fake work laugh.  I knew they would both enjoy that.  And they did.

Hubby, did not.

It seems he had been blissfully unaware of the laugh until he read my text as I was sending it. Now, I didn't point out that I was texting nor did I ask him to read the text. Not that I cared.  We're married.  The only thing we don't share is a toothbrush because that's gross.

However, I want to be very clear on this point:  I did not invite him to read my text to my friends nor did I make the comment to him about the woman's laugh.

And yet, for the rest of the show, every time she laughed, he nudged me and grimaced and whispered, "Thanks!"

Like that's my fault.  Hey, next time...maybe don't read my "Friends" themed texts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...