Thursday, August 22, 2019

Oh Hubby, sweet, silly, non-menopausal hubby.

Hello everyone!

So Hubby and I popped in a Harry Potter movie over the weekend. Doesn't really matter which one...we weren't actually watching it, we just needed some background noise while packing up the kitchen with Peaches, who moved into her own place.  (Some kids move out and the worst stuff to move is the bedroom. That is not the case when the kid moving out is a culinary/pastry student.)

Anyway...

While packing up, of course, I had several hot flashes.  I'm not a subtle person, I think we all know that.  So every time I have a hot flash, I announce it by saying, "There goes another shred of my youth, floating away."

After listening to this for several days, Hubby has decided to add his own take on menopause and hot flashes, and he uses Harry Potter as his example.

"Hot flashes," says he, "Are like the dementor's kiss."

For those of you not in the know, you're going to have to go and read the Harry Potter Books or see the movies. Or both, which would be the best way to go about it.  I don't have the time to explain a dementor's kiss and its ramifications within the 7 book, 8 film construct of the Potter universe.

Ooooh, did I just get all author-ly on your fannies?

Anyway, Hubby went on to explain how he envisions hot flashes. "It's like a dementor's kiss, every hot flash sucks out a little more joy from you."

So when I'm done with this I'm going to be joyless?  As in, "I had some joy going through menopause, but that's gone now?"

YOU MEAN THIS IS AS JOYFUL AS I'M EVER GOING TO BE THE REST OF MY LIFE?

"No, instead of joy, it's youth. Hot flashes suck out the youth."

Which made me think of this movie clip:


Anyway, thinking about Hubby's picture of what I'm going through, while it's a bit naïve, I really can't fault him for it too much.  (Except that it's also funny, which is why it's in the blog.)  I mean, if you know Harry Potter (and seriously...it's a cultural touchstone. How can you know nothing about Harry Potter?  Go right now, get the books, sit down and read them. They were written for young teens.  Third graders burn through them in a matter of a couple hours.  You're an adult...READ THE BOOKS.  Or, conversely, take about 20 hours of your life and watch all 8 movies. But, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart...you really need to acquaint yourself with Harry Potter!)

Wait, where was I?

Hot flashes.

So below is a clip of a dementor's kiss.



Pretty gruesome, right?  Except...well...I mean...here's how hubby, poor, sweet, silly, non-menopausal hubby, is wrong:

A dementor's kiss is COLD.

RIGHT NOW I WOULD LOVE A DEMENTOR'S KISS!  I don't care how much joy or youth or whatever it sucks out of me....I NEED SOMETHING COLD!

Maybe it's more like the MACHINE from the Princess Bride...you know, the one in the Pit of Despair?


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...