Sunday, November 24, 2019

This is weird question to be asked 3 times, right?







Hello everyone!  First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends out there.  For those of you not in the know, Thanksgiving is the official kick off to the five week mayhem that we call "the Holiday Season."  I'm happy to say that other than placing an order for Kringle for my far flung relatives, I'm officially done with all the shopping and can now settle into 5 weeks of decorating, caroling, and drinking warm adult beverage while watching charming, utterly forgettable movies.

But first, Thanksgiving.  So, hey all, I'm thankful for another year of being able to share my life with you fine folks and, while my posts might not have been as many this year (mostly because my life has been a tiny bit more exhausting...) that doesn't mean I don't have plenty up my sleeve for 2020. Seriously, who thought we'd all make it this far?

Anyway, Season's Greetings and all that.

Now, on to the topic of the day.

So yesterday I took a break from writing (still working it hard for #nanowrimo2019) and Hubby and I went out for lunch/brunch.  It was noon when we settled on a cute little family diner/bakery in a cute part of an adorable town near ours.  Given that it was noon on a Saturday, I expected the place to be busy, but apparently this was more of a breakfast/supper place than a flat out lunch place. What I'm saying is that at noon yesterday, we were one of about six tables in the restaurant and there were no less than 9 young ladies, all of whom wore ponytails, working as servers.

That's not the weird part.

Just wait.

So Ponytail #1 takes us to our table and asks if we want breakfast or dinner menus. We take breakfast.  She gives us our menu and leaves.  Ponytail #2 comes up, brings water, asks if we want coffee. We do. She gets it, takes our order, and leaves.  (BTW, I'm calling them "Ponytails" because not a one of them told us their names.)

Now, while we are waiting for our food, this is when it starts to get weird.  Another ponytail walks us and asks us if we are using our ketchup.

I have to think about it for a moment, but then Hubby reminds me that I like ketchup on my hash browns.  So, we tell Ponytail #3, that yes, we are using our ketchup.  She walks away.

Had that been the end of it, there would be no blog.

Another two minutes pass and Ponytail #4  comes up to our table. Now, she's carrying several ketchup bottles.  She asks us, "Are you done with your ketchup?"

Sweetie, we haven't even gotten our food yet.  No, we say politely, we are going to be using our ketchup.

She turns around, and leaves us. Now, Ponytail #5 (I'm not making this us...all different young ladies, same hair.) brings us our food. It's great. It's delicious.  And then Ponytail tale #6, who nearly trips over #5 on her way to our table, asks, "are you done with your ketchup?"

I mean, this is a weird question, right?  This is a strange thing to be asked 3 times within a matter of about five minutes by three different people.  Right?  All my years working in a restaurant, and all my kids' years, I don't think anyone's ever asked a seated table to surrender their ketchup. And, if they were cleaning and refilling the bottles, as Hubby suggested, noon is a weird time to do it. That's really more of a 2-4PM job, right?  Let me hear from my servers and bussers on this one!



Anyway, Hubby, at this point, hides our ketchup on his booth.  When I need it, I ask for it, and then he tucks it back on his seat.  (I like to put ketchup on my hash browns in stages.)  So we're enjoying out meal It's really good food.

And then it happens.  Ponytail #2, our server, comes over and puts a bottle of ketchup on the table. "Here's your ketchup!"

And now we have TWO BOTTLES on our table.

I'm not about to say anything. It's mine now.

Meal over, everything was wonderful, we pay our check and go on with our lives. At the register Ponytail # 7 asks "How was everything?"

I, of course, want to ask, "WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH YOU PEOPLE AND THE KETCHUP?"

But I don't.

Because I'm basically a coward.

But seriously, that's a weird question, right?

Anyway, everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving and we'll see you in December!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely would’ve asked what was the deal with the ketchup. And if I didnt my husband sure as hell would’ve ����

    ReplyDelete

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...