Friday, July 30, 2021

5 for Friday! Those Weird, Wacky World-wide Olympic moments!

 


Well friends, the first week of the 2021 (even if they're calling it the 2020 games, I'm sorry, it's 2021, we really don't need to extend last year any longer do we?) Olympic Games is in the books and I'm here to tell you, all the couch time I've clocked and all the sleep I've lost obsessing about sports and athletes I will have no interest in past August 8 have not been in vain. 

I present the five weirdest, funniest, most head scratching moments of the Olympics thus far!


5)  Joey, you're not supposed to eat pizza and dressage at the same time!


The country of Singapore was eliminated from the equestrian dressage qualifiers on Sunday after a judge found Caroline Chew's horse Tribiani was bleeding from the mouth while competing.

If you're watching the extended coverage either in the middle of the night or by using your Roku device (thank you, NBC, for filing all the coverage under event tabs, BTW, I can skip the soccer and basketball and focus on the freaky stuff the US isn't good at. It's been fun!) then you may have seen this fun nugget from the horsing world.  Basically, Dressage is ballet for horses. During the qualifiers, (which is a bit like watching the compulsory events in ice dancing), the horse representing Singapore, hilariously named TRIBIANI, bit either his tongue or the side of his mouth during his routine and since bleeding is a no no in Olympic competition (Do they call that the "Louganis" rule?) both horse and rider were DQ'd.  



4) Sir, please freak out behind the fence.


Australian swim coach, Dean Boxall, is an emotional guy. Never more, however, than when Ariarne Titmus won a gold medal.

Now, emotional celebrations are a big part of the Olympics. But I'd like you to watch as a very dedicated Japanese usher politely does her job. LOL


3)  Not nearly as pretty, but also not as lethal.

Dutch men's mountain biker, Van der Poel, crashes on the course. The next day, for the women's event, someone put up what looks like a ramp made of wood pallets. You know, for safety.






2) This would win the $100K on America's Funniest Home Videos.


I might be the biggest fan of Olympic Skateboarding EVER! 

Wait, what I meant to say is, I really hope Angelo Caro Narvaez isn't seriously hurt.


1)  The winner of the first ever Red Foreman "Dumbass" Medal.


Xiao Ruoteng of China! This genius was LEADING the men's individual all around gymnastics competition until the final event, the horizontal bar.  After his routine, he celebrated on the stage, went down to the team "dugout" area, then CAME BACK UP TO CELEBRATE MORE while another gymnast was readying himself to do his routine on the bar.


The judges had the right to deduct his score 3 tenths of a point. Which they did. 

Mathematically speaking, Xiao would still have lost the gold to Japanese teen sensation Hashimoto, but this gap in manners and common sense was just, as Red Foreman would put it: 




"I feel that I did well today, and I am pretty satisfied with my performance. This medal is really big for me. It's a result of what I have worked for up until now," said Xiao.

Sure.  That's the face of a guy who isn't afraid to go home.


There you have it my friends, the 5 most fun, weirdest, hilarious moments.  

I have to give an honorable mention to France’s Pauline Ferrand-Prévot, female mountain bike race favorite, who fell off her bike and got caught in a guard net, then slide a couple feet down on wet rocks while trying to retrieve her bike that seemed determined to stay away from her.  She was in the lead until that moment.  THAT'S the agony of defeat right there!


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...