Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Well, it all comes out in the wash. Literally.

 

Hello and happy holidays!


Egads!  How is it December 20 already?  I realize my last blog was in September...and I can't believe that!   I have so much to blog about here at the end of 2023!  WOW!


Okay, first up:  I'm once again changing jobs.  As of December 29, I will no longer be working for a small tech company. Turns out, I don't play well with computer geniuses.  Who knew?  More on that  in a later blog, I promise!

New Year's Resolutions coming up. This year was an epic fail. LOL


Also, do I have a story about a storage shed for you!  But that's a blog for another day!  (Since I'm in the last gasps of my time here at the old job, maybe I'll just spend the week blogging!)

But today I'm here to talk about appliances, specifically the washer and drier. I have at least one friend who is sitting there going, "oh yeah..."


This past autumn my washer failed me. More specifically, Peaches sent us a text that read, "I think I broke your washing machine."

I mean, she hadn't. That thing had been making a fairly alarming noise for a while. But Hubby was in Colorado and I wasn't about to alert him to that while he was 2000 miles away.  



Hubby hit his phone and found a new washer for $650.  Could be delivered to the house in a couple days.  I thought, winner winner.


But, Hubby had other ideas.  


He has a cousin who owns a bunch of apartment units in La Crosse, WI.  (Three hours away from us on the opposite side of the state.)  He contacted said cousin who told him, yes, he had a washer/drier pair he could sell to us for $400.  He would only sell us the pair, not just one.

Okay, excessive, but bigger win!


Except, how does one get a washer/drier across the state?  Well, that's easy!  We have some very good friends...at least they were our friends at the time of the broken washer...lol...who live in the La Crosse area. They own a truck with a trailer.  And they are the nicest people in the world who, for whatever reason, like us and will do things for us.  (Seriously, we love these friends, but they are too nice!  We will call them Sylvie and Max.)

So Hubby contacts Sylvie and Max and sets up a time for them to bring us the washer/drier. He venmos the money to his cousin and, for $400 we are a GO!

Now, one does not simply expect friends to drive across the state with appliances for free, so we told Sylvie and Max that we'd buy them lunch.  And, Hubby, knowing lunch was just not enough of a thank you, also got a Kwik Trip card for $100 to cover gas.

So on a rainy day, Sylvie and Max delivered and helped install the washer and drier. Hubby bought a bunch of new hoses and whatnot, to the tune of $50.  (A move I don't begrudge, it's just smart to get new connections for new-ish appliances.)

Lunch, with tip, wound up being somewhere north of $125 because we're not just going to take them to Mcd's. We went to a nice place with tables and wait staff and adult beverages.  


Let's look at the running tab:

$400 for the appliaces. 

$100 Kwik Trip.

$50 for hoses

$125 for lunch.  

Total:  $675 for the "cheaper" way to go.

Now, the upside was we got to see Sylvie and Max, which is priceless, so while this is amusing, I'm not griping.


But wait.  The story doesn't end there.



Normally, Hubby is a handy dude. He can, and has, fixed appliances all over the house. So when we started this journey of the broken washer, I didn't question him as to whether or not he could fix it.

Guess what?  He could, and he did.

For $18.

Yep, turns out, while he normally would have checked to see if he could repair the machine prior to replacing it, he didn't do that this time around. Until after the fact. And he got it working beautifully right away.

For $18.

But wait, the story still isn't over.

Our basement is not one where we can keep two washers and two driers happily. I wish it were.  It would ease  a number of arguments with Skippy about whether or not we get to move each other's laundry.  So, we had to get rid of the now extra pair.

Hubby listed them on Facebook Marketplace. He sold when quickly to a fella a couple miles away from us.

For $600.

Here's the best part:  While the guy buying the appliances lives close, he was actually buying them for his daughter...who lived...


IN LA CROSSE!


Are you laughing now?


That's all I have for the moment, except I'm going to leave you with this image:


some of you will find it funny. But, my friend "Jubilee" is going to find this hilarious.


Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...