Sunday, July 3, 2016

In a weird way, Hubby makes a point.

Good evening!

In the USA this is The Fourth of July Weekend.  This is where we Americans celebrate our independence from the British by drinking beer and setting off fireworks. (Often resulting in blown up limbs or, as my brother was telling a story today brunch, nearly setting fire to a whole neighborhood.  And, for those not into beer or fireworks, there's always a good mattress sale happening someplace.

Not so in France. In France this is the kick off weekend to the Tour de France. This is a 3 week bicycle race around France (and touching spots in other countries),  Thanks to the great coverage of NBCSN, we get to listen, here in the States, to Phil and Paul as they speak in dulcet British tones about bike racing and French and European history.  We get amazing scenic shots, like the ones I'll be sharing from the first day of racing, and we get a little
humor thanks to American Bob Roll (LOVE THAT GUY).

Now I'm not here to question how Americans celebrate their independence and I'm not here to extol the French on their greatness in cycling.  I'm bringing all of this up mostly because while watching coverage of the Tour last night, Hubby finally trumped me with something.

See, there's something you should probably know about me, something I don't advertise all that much:  I find guys getting hit in the crotch with stuff just about the funniest thing there is ever.  I mean, I'm not alone, "America's Funniest Home Videos" has been on the air what, a hundred years now, and those videos are either cute kids, funny pets, or guys getting hit in the crotch with stuff.

Still, I might enjoy that genre of humor a bit too much. I mean, I laugh at pretty much everything, mostly because life is so ridiculous you have to laugh or you'll just get all bound up and constipated like several people I know on Face Book,  (Seriously...ending a friendship or a family tie over something that's said on Face Book..well, let me just quote the great TV character Red Forman: 



Thank you, Red.

Where was I?

Oh, right, guys getting hit in the crotch.

So funny.

What does this have to do with Independence Day?


Nothing.  But it does have something to do with the Tour de France.  We were watching last night's coverage and I was having trouble watching all the close up shots of the guys riding. they're all hunched over with their weight square on their hands and wrists.

That makes me cringe more than a multi cyclist crash..which happened a couple times in state one.

See, for those of you who don't know, I've had two hand surgeries this year for carpal tunnel and I have advanced arthritis in both thumbs.  My hands are very tender yet from the surgeries and the thumbs hurt all the time.  So, watching these guys put weight on their hands for extended periods of time makes my hands hurt.

I made that comment to Hubby as we were watching last night and do you know what he said?

"Well, it's like I feel when you're watching guys get hit in the crotch and laughing, isn't it?   
It's just NEVER NOT FUNNY!"

To borrow a phrase from the French:  Touche'.



Now, about those fireworks.  Folks, come on.  Leave the big stuff to the professionals, or at least to the sober guy in the group.  Don't wake up on Tuesday with blown up fingers.




Happy Birthday, America!  Vive le Tour!






No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...