Sunday, May 10, 2015

Best Mother's Day Gift EVER???

Good morning!

Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms and moms to be out there.  I know Skippy and Peaches are thinking of me today...especially when I open their doors and yell, "GET UP" in a few minutes. It's my favorite time of day, when I communicate with my children on a Sunday morning.  "GET UP AND OUT OF BED!"

Anyway...

Some say making other people laugh is the greatest gift a person can give. If that's true, then my husband is the Santa Claus of Mother's Day because boy howdy did I laugh, thanks to him.  

We were eating dinner in the living room, kids were both at work.  Hubby made beer can chicken, potatoes and asparagus wrapped in bacon on the grill.  Yep, one of my favorite meals EVER.  (Don't know what beer can chicken is?  Well, you take a whole chicken and an open can of beer.  Make the chicken SIT on the can, and then set the whole thing on the grill. Yes, the name is pretty self explanatory.) 

So we're sitting there, eating, and Jude and Tacocat, two of our four cats were sort of standing, front paws on the footstool, watching Hubby eat.  This isn't unusual.  Cats are curious.  They are also always hungry.  And we always eat in the living room. So it's a general rule that at least one or two of the beasts are going to be extremely interested in what we're eating.  This time around, two of them are on their back feet, front paws on the footstool, watching Hubby eat.

Hubby lets out a good, solid belch. Since I turned 40 we've become a family of wildly impolite belchers.  I used to try and hold it in, but there's very little more satisfying than an excellent belch. The Romans had something with that.  Anyway, Hubby lets out a belch and Jude, our very dignified looking cat startles and falls over Tacocat.  Jude recovers his dignity, as cats do, immediately, and hops up on the footstool as if falling on Tacocat had nothing to do with Hubby's belch and everything to do with his plan to get on the footstool and closer to the food.

It's at that point that I lost it.  I started laughing harder than I've laughed in several months. It's just a dumb thing, a cat getting startled and falling over.  My four idiot beasts do it all the time.  But for some reason, this time hit me as the funniest thing I'd seen in ages.

Hubby looked at Jude, and then he set down his plate.  He took Jude's face in his hands and he said, "Well congratulations, Jude.  We just made the blog."

So thank you to my belching husband and my easily startled cat.  Thank you for making me laugh so hard I had to lie down.  Thank you for what might be one of the best Mother's Day gifts even!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year's Resolutions: Let's see if I can do better this year.

  I'm fully aware that it's almost the middle of February, FAR past the time when I give out the grades from my New Year's Resol...